Saturday, January 14, 2012

“we”

The word “we”; such a simple word, yet probably the most misused and misunderstood word in the English language. It is an inclusive word, and, at the same time, a very limiting, elitist word.
I just did a quick read of my new issue of Foreign Policy Magazine, and the word “we” started jumping off the page at me. I sat back and contemplated how the public, in general, has come to accept this word in our common vernacular. It dawned on me that American’s acceptance of usage has become a problem not only here at home, but also abroad.

At home and abroad, “we” is used to boost someone’s self-image while attempting to include themselves in important issues, or decisions; this is most evident with our news media outlets. The oft heard phrases “we need to know more”, or “we have to see how this all plays out” is simply one person trying to elevate themselves into the company of those who really do need to know more, or see how things play out.

I wonder who “they” are talking about when “they” ask and/or tell me:

v we just have to do something about poverty

v we can win this election

v we need to know what Occupy Wall Street really means

v we can’t make a move, until we find out more on who’s in charge in Libya

v we have to something about the Iranian situation

The list goes on, and on.

I’m still wondering who the Hell “we” are.

I’m still wondering why the Hell “we” need to know all this stuff.

I’m still wonder what “we” would do if “we” came up the answers.

I’m still wondering why “we” need to be involved in all these situations. Why do “we” need to constantly be a the beck and call of the rest of the World to solve everyone else’s problems? I think “we” need to reconsider the use of “we” and return it to its proper place in our use of the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment