FIX THE VA: LONG ISLAND, NY
“The demise of the VA Medical Center in Northport, NY”
1) Construct the “Veterans’ Choice Program” so it actually works the way it is intended to.
2) Contract with the Major Healthcare Providers on Long Island to take over the existing Veteran Patient load for the VA Medical Center in Northport, NY. This will be limited to Medical Patients and Services, only.
3) The Veterans’ Mental Healthcare will remain with the VA. The VA will contract with New York State to construct a sizeable Mental Health CBOC on the grounds of the Pilgrim State Psychiatric Center in Brentwood, NY. This geographical location is accessible from all major Highways and Thoroughfares on Long Island. There is ample space to construct a new, state-of-the-art Facility on the existing grounds.
4) To ensure that Veterans get their Mental Health care in a safe and secure environment outside of the Private Sector, current VA Mental Healthcare Staff will be augmented with Private Sector Healthcare Staff to ensure full Mental Healthcare coverage for all of Long Island’s Veterans in the confines of the new Mental Health CBOC.
5) Once this new Facility is completed, staffed and running, it will be time for the Federal Government to fully condemn the Facility in Northport and commence demolition of it. The Federal Government will, after all remediation is accomplished, deed the land in Northport to the State for the sole purpose of Parkland.
Mapquest, location of Pilgrim State
VAMC, Northport, NY