Why It Matters At a Glance
Head: Treasury Secretary, Timothy Geithner
# of Employees: 110,000
2009 Budget: $12.7 billion
Address: 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20220
The four strategic goals listed in the Treasury Department’s 2008 Citizen’s Report are: manage the U.S. government’s finances1; set conditions to assure the U.S. and world economy perform at maximum potential2; prevent terrorism and promote national security through strengthened international financial systems3; and management and organizational excellence4.
To achieve these goals, the secretary has at his disposal the Office of the Comptroller, the U.S. Mint5, the Internal Revenue Service, the Bureau of Public Debt6 and dozens of other offices housed both inside and outside of its Washington headquarters7.
1. And, how’s that been workin’ out?
2. Really? We’re responsible for international finances, as well as our own; bad idea, high risk, lack of “payback”.
3. ie. Handing over hundreds of billions of our tax payers dollars to foreign governments who keep the money for themselves in Countries that don’t particularly like us.
4. More then any other, this is the major failure that has occurred over the past 20-30 years
5. Well, I guess someone’s got to do it.
6. Isn’t this redundant? Or, am I missing something?
7. Dozens?? Inside, and outside, HQ?? You have to be kidding me!